Total Pageviews

Thursday, January 9, 2014

I believe in being Thankful and Content



I believe in being Thankful and Content
I have been thinking about the last 4 years, 2 in China and 2 in Bolivia.  These experiences have had a profound effect on my thinking.  I have seen the lives of many of my students at Nankai and what they have had to do to get where they are.  I have seen the lives of many members of the church members in Bolivia and know how hard life is for them.  Their lives are much more difficult than mine and yet they are thankful for what they have.  I believe we don’t realize the great blessing it is to live in the United States, to be members of the church.  I believe that we should be more thankful.  I love the idea that being thankful for our blessings and all that we have includes the concept that at the same time we are content with what we have.  I’m not saying we shouldn’t strive to improve our lives and provide well for our children.  The concept is more like I don’t covet the new car my neighbor just got.  I am thankful that I have a car that runs and I am content.  Too often we spend a great deal of energy and time trying to obtain things and in the process we forget to be thankful for all that we do have.  Our worst day is a good day for most of the world.  I believe that being thankful also means that I will be content and I will not covet.  No one can take away the things that matter most, our testimonies, our family, they are forever, our knowledge of the truth of plan of salvation, our love for the Savior and his church here on earth.  Even when we feel down and are having a bad day we should never forget the things that matter most and we should be thankful for what we have, knowing that most of God’s children here on earth have much less than we have.  I believe that we should be more thankful and content and as we endure well our trials we will be blessed.  Maybe we will only receive the blessing of contentment, oh but what a blessing that is.

No comments:

Post a Comment